Monday, January 17, 2011

Butter is Better

I made two dinners last week that had painful amounts of butter. First, I made Swedish Meatballs, which is unhealthy to begin with, and then the meatballs are cooked in a 1/2 inch of butter. Then after removing the cooked meatballs, I added chicken broth to the butter and crusty cooked bits to make the sauce. The next day, I made a creamy chicken and mushroom dish out of Julia Child's cookbook. She is the butter queen and this recipe was no different. This time I used butter and cream, as well as chicken stock to make the sauce. 



  Cooking the meatballs in straight up butter.


 Before I formed the meatballs I had to beat the meat mixture for ten minutes so it formed more of a smooth pasty ball and less of a lumpy hamburger ball.


The finished Swedish Meatball dinner



This is the sauce that I made for the creamy chicken dish. I added the green beans rght before I served the dish for some color and a bit of nutrients. The sauce tasted so wonderful. It was creamy and sweet and most of all, buttery!


I went to the gym a day or two later and I weighed about two pounds more! Maybe it's just from the slump of the winter time or the fact that I haven't been running since it's gotten so cold out, but I attribute it to the butter. So, from now on, I am determined to cook in a more healthy manner. Goodbye saturated fat. I will not see your ugly face again! (Until I made chocolate cake in a few weeks). I hope you're coping through these cold winter months. Who knows, maybe in the end, butter is the best way to make it through.

Thanks for reading my thoughts about food!

2 comments:

  1. I almost always see Greg when I am at the gym but hardly ever see you!

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!