Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Can It Be?


Has spring sprung? I don't want to jinx anything but the 70 (and even 80!) degree weather has me pulling out the spring clothes, getting my butt outside, and sprucing up the house. We were so lucky to have such  mild winter. I never got into one of my normal winter funks. Like the one where I fake-cry, pout, and sit on the couch bundled in 7 blankets and my winter coat and scowl out at the world. This winter I've kept myself busy and optimistic by looking forward to each new month. A few days ago, I went out to the tree in my front yard and cut these branches that were just budding. Now, they are beautiful and blooming. I love keeping flowers in the house, but buying flowers to stick in vases around the house seems like such a luxury. No one can argue when I have them from my own tree though! Cost -$0!





 I know it's a bit early for backyard BBQs, but I just couldn't wait to put away the crock pot and shelve the wintery recipes for next year. By then I'm sure I'll be ready for chili and pot roast and heavy pasta dishes again, but the Vernal Equinox is right around the corner, and I'm celebrating with some turkey sliders and homemade sweet potato fries.







As usual, I didn't measure that accurately, I just threw things together by hand. I made the turkey burgers by lightly whisking one egg white in a medium bowl. Then I added a 1/4 of a small yellow onion, chopped. I also added about a 1 tsp of pepper and 1/2 tsp of minced garlic (or one clove). Then I added about 1 lb of ground turkey and about 1/4 cup (or less) of Italian-style bread crumbs. Then I mixed it all together with my hands. I make the turkey patties rather small and flat, because they plump up in the pan. This makes about 10-12 sliders.

If you like lists (like me) here's that again:
  • 1 egg white lightly whisked
  • 1/4 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic or a few shakes of garlic powder 
  • 1/4 cup or less of Italian-style bread crumbs. (I usually just use a handful or so)
  • 1 lb of ground turkey


 Meanwhile, I peeled and sliced two sweet potatoes into fry-sized strips. I coated them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and popped them in the toaster oven for 15 minutes on 400.  They were a perfect side dish to the turkey burgers. They also have more vitamins than regular spuds.


This was delicious. I topped the burger with barely-ripe avocado, fresh organic tomatoes, lettuce, and a dab of BBQ sauce.



I wonder how far South I'd have to move to have winters like this every year? Do you think I'd have to go all the way to Florida?


Last winter in Florida. (I was disappointed that I still had to wear a coat!)





























No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!