Sunday, August 15, 2010

First Thoughts

Growing up, it's fun to think about what kind of adult you will be one day. I've tried a few things on my way to discovering what kind of big fancy grown-up I want to become. Maybe an athlete? After my first triathlon I realized, jock...I am not. I also discovered that I'm not a singer, dog trainer, nor am I an interior decorator. But, while I know I am not Caesar Milan, I am a person who loves nature, and creating, and food! Look at that, I'm half on my way to becoming a real live grown-up!

 

My first ever homemade apple pie!

This was one of my first forays into baking. They say that if you can cook, you're usually not a very good baker and vice versa. Something about using different sides of the brain for each. But, I mean, it's pretty simple, right? Just follow the directions, and out pops a pie!

Update one year later: This is not true. Baking. is. hard. 


Greg helping cook the lobsters! They're Alive!!

Valentine's Day dinner
On Valentines Day this past year I decided to make a big romantic dinner for myself and my new husband. We had been married for 6 months and I wanted to do something pretty special. These unlucky guys ended up as our main course!  I also made an awesome Risotto (for the first time) and Green Beans Amandine. Everything turned out perfect, although I didn't know at the time that Greg doesn't really even love lobster. Whoops!



Reine De Saba (Chocolate and Almond Cake)




This was the cake I made out of Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I made it around Easter this year. I have vowed to only make this cake once a year. It is so good, it's a sin to have it more often than that. Definitely not during Lent. I wish you could lick the computer screen and taste how phenomenally wonderful this cake is. The cake and frosting was made with dark bakers chocolate. The cake was also made with rum (yum!) and there is just a small hint of it in the flavor. I have never, ever, tasted something so perfect. The French are geniuses.
It's like I'm taking my picture with a famous actor or something. I was so proud, even if it is just plopped on a cookie sheet! *Note to self: next item to be purchased is a cake platter.


The moistest cake you've ever had. Heaven.



I had to put the pot in a bucket of ice and stir constantly to get the frosting to be the right consistency. It worked! It was perfection.




Last but not least..... Strawberry Chiffon Pie!!!  I made this for the first time this summer and it was so yummy, I made it about 3 times right after that! It's the perfect summer dessert because it's served cold and it tastes so light and sweet and fruity. There's a homemade pie crust underneath. To make the filling, you crush strawberries. Meanwhile you cook sugar, egg yolk, and gelatin in a pot. Then you mix the gelatin mixture and strawberries and let them sit for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Then you beat whipping cream until it looks like, well....whipped cream and fold that into the stiffening strawberry gelatin mixture and then let it set in the fridge for another 4 hours. Anyways, long story short, it's a ton of waiting and refrigerating, but it's worth it! I like to decorate the top with berries for a pretty presentation. This recipe is from The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. You know, the one that every mom has on her shelf.


Well, I can't wait to post again, and next time I'll put less baking and more cooking pics. It's just a little more impressive to take a picture of a strawberry pie than honey mustard chicken thighs, but I'll work on my photography skills. Thanks for reading my thoughts about food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!