Friday, August 20, 2010

A Way to a Man's Heart...


...Is through his stomach. It's true, Greg is pretty happy that I like to cook, but he would like macaroni and cheese with chopped up hamburger in it just as much as the more time-consuming meals I try out on him.  But I will say I did win his heart/stomach with this one.






I used Ellie Krieger's cookbook called The Food You Crave. It has recipes that are more healthy versions of comfort food. She even has recipes for things like chicken pot pie and mashed potatoes. Her vegetable chapter is great because she gives simple ways to make vegetables taste delicious without using gobs of butter. I cook from it all the time.



I started with some Orzo. I added some feta  and parsley to the pasta.



I sauteed onions and garlic in olive oil. Then I added diced tomatoes with the juices, canned or fresh. Then let it all boil and thicken for about 5 minutes. Next, I tossed in my peeled shrimp and feta, and salt, pepper and herbs/spices and baked for 12 minutes in the oven at 425.




I made sure the shrimp looked totally done and delicious...










Like I said, Greg raves about this dish, even though it does come from the "health" cookbook that he's a little bit wary about after I cooked mashed sweet potatoes with orange juice and buttermilk, which I'll admit was kind of a disappointment. But, most her recipes are really amazing. I love the sage-rubbed pork chops with apple slaw. I made that last fall for some friends and it was to die for! I didn't think I could make my own apple slaw from scratch, but I did it and it was incredible! I also like that Krieger gives all of the nutritional facts to each recipe so you know exactly what you're eating. So, all in all it's a good book to put on your shelf. I hope that maybe you'll try this dish or check out the cookbook! Thanks again for reading my thoughts about food!

4 comments:

  1. I believe that saying . . . and I believe that your cooking is awesome!

    I think I may cook my shrimps this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an interesting blog and you are making me want to start cooking again.:D

    I am your newest follower!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!