Monday, December 19, 2011

Brussel Sprout Bandwagon

During Thanksgiving, I noticed that a certain vegetable had recipes "sprouting" up everywhere, like here and here. Being the trend follower that I am (Actually, I'm not at all... I just bought a pair of leggings recently, which came into style, what, 2 years ago? )

Well, I decided to try the brussel sprouts anyway. I have had them maybe once before in my life and it was so long ago that I don't even remember what I thought about them. When checking out recipes on food blogs, and magazines, they looked bright green, crispy, and pretty darn good, so I decided to give them a shot. Greg was not so adventurous at first, so I did what any good wife would do; I bought them and made them for dinner so when he got home from work they were waiting on his plate. Wisely, he did not complain.


To make this dish, I started by preheating my oven to 425 and taking my fresh sprouts out of the fridge.



Then I cut them in half and blanched them. To do that, get a pot of water boiling, throw in the sliced sprouts, and fish them out after about 45 seconds. They won't be very tender, but don't worry, you'll be cooking them in the oven as well.



Then, I drizzled olive oil over them (about a tablespoon) and added some salt, pepper, chunks of yellow onion and a teaspoon of minced garlic.



I spread them out on a cookie sheet and sprinkled them with white wine vinegar. Then, I baked them for 12 minutes. (I thought that Bobby Flay's recipe in the link above, which has an addition of quartered potato, looked awesome as did the one with pancetta. Anything to disguise the fact that we're eating a vegetable, right?)



Here is the end result. I especially like that the white wine vinegar cut into the very slight bitterness of the sprouts. I used about a half a tablespoon. I'm actually really happy with how these turned out. They seemed really versatile. I think cooking them with shallots or mushrooms and Parmesan would taste really good as well. So, jump on...the bandwagon is a yummy place to be!



 Thanks for reading my thoughts about food!



4 comments:

  1. Ah! I love brussel sprouts! I'm going through a brussel spouts phase right now, but they get such a bad rap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't one of those kids feeding your sprouts to the dog under the table?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah I hate that I don't get notifications when other people comment!
    But we never got brussel sprouts growing up! The first time I had them was at college!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I never had them either. If you like the ones at school, you should try mine ;)

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!