Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chocolate, Caramel, and Walnut Covered Pretzels

For this Valentine's Day dessert, I used a trial and non-error technique. I call it that because even the batches that I didn't serve on Valentine's Day were so delicious that I made sure to diligently snack on them for the next week. This is how I made them:

First I started with 3 ounces of semi-sweet bakers chocolate.


I didn't want the chocolate to burn, so I fashioned my own double boiler out of small and medium sized saucepans. I boiled the water in the medium one and then put the smaller one with the chocolate inside.



Here's another view with the water boiling and the chocolate melted.





Batch #1:

For the first batch, I threw the pretzels into the small pot and totally covered them in chocolate. I took each one out separately with a fork to let the excess chocolate drizzle off. Then I put them on a cookie sheet covered in tinfoil to cool.





Then I made some caramel sauce with butter, cream, brown sugar, vanilla, and corn syrup.




I let it melt then stirred it while it boiled. Then I took it off the heat to let it cool for 15 minutes.





When the caramel sauce had properly cooled, I drizzled it over the chocolate covered pretzels and then sprinkled chopped walnuts on top. I realized that the saltiness was too hidden, so then I sprinkled a tiny bit of rock sea salt on top.  Then I let them cool in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.




Then I boxed them up, thinking this was the end. Then I decided (not at all because someone mentioned that they might be too chocolatey...ahem) to try another batch that was more like pretzel clusters and not individual pretzels. Hence, batch #2.



Batch #2:

In this batch I put the pretzels in a bowl and poured some of the melted chocolate in. I stirred them up and lightly coated them. Then I crunched them up into large chunks.



I put the pieces onto the tinfoil, drizzled the caramel, and added the walnuts and a tinier bit of sea salt, because the salt on the pretzels was more noticeable. I put this in the fridge overnight.



Then, the next night, Valentine's Day, I took the pieces and broke them apart into chunks of chocolatey, caramely, salty, crunchy goodness.


To use up some of the extra cream and caramel, I made coffee with homemade whipped cream and caramel sauce.



In the following days,  I had a whole tray of pretzel pieces left and two boxes of chocolate covered pretzels left, which I was going to bring to work to share, but (sorry ladies) we ate them all before I got the chance!

Which would you have picked, the chocolate submersion (batch 1) or pretzels lightly coated in chocolate and a bit more salty (batch 2)? Either way, you can't beat a salty sweet combination, especially with some serious pretzel and walnut crunch action!

Thanks for reading my thoughts about food!



2 comments:

  1. Did you have any problems with them sticking to the tin foil? I make chocolate covered pretzels around Christmas time but have always used wax paper for fear of having to pick tiny pieces of foil off of them. I am more of a full coverage of chocolate kind of girl myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They came off pretty easily. Wax paper might have been even better though.

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!