Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lifestyle Change

I'm back to my old blogging self after a short hiatus. After some thinking, we've decided to eat healthier. Seriously. It's not a phase, it's a lifestyle change. So that's that. 



(God I want to devour an entire chocolate cake so freaking bad.)


Until my body adjusts I'll have to fake it till I make it. Here are some "healthy" meals I've tried out recently. 



Grilled Chicken Salad
One of the healthy choices that we're making is cutting down on salt and sugar. Therefore, I marinated the chicken in lemon juice and freshly round pepper to give it some punch. The salad is lightly dressed and has some crumbles of feta cheese on top.




Turkey Burgers
 I'll be honest, for someone who loves burgers, you have to be a flavor master to make lean ground turkey taste as good as a juicy beef burger. The ones in this picture were okay, but in the next batch I made, I used an egg white and a tablespoon of bread crumbs in the meat, which made it less dense. This made the burgers seem way jucier. I also made them much thinner, so they didn't need to cook as long and the meat didn't dry out as much. See? I'm learning.



Shrimp Skewers

This has been the most tasty meal yet. These shrimp were wild caught, not farm raised and tasted so fresh and delicious. I just skewered the shrimp, sweet yellow onion chunks, and pineapple chunks and grilled them on the Forman for about 3 minutes on each side. After, I drizzled about 1/4  teaspoon of honey down the skewer. Yum! We had this with a salad on the side. It was so good, I am making it again this week.

Thanks for reading my thoughts about healthier food!




2 comments:

  1. As an IV sugar and salt addict (NO, not really. But I could be), I feel your pain. Here's one of my healthier recipes that tastes pretty good and helps eliminate the sugar cravings: Carnival Coleslaw

    Combine 2 cups of thinly sliced purple cabbage with 1 cup very thin green beans that have been blanched in boiling water for 6 minutes. Add 1 small papaya seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks. Dress with 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and tablespoon of olive oil.

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!