Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My New Friend

Hello Tofu, nice to make your acquaintance. Will you please come into my home, make yourself comfortable in the refrigerator, but stay far away from my husband; he doesn't want your kind around here.

Tofu is my new friend. We found each other right between the milk and the eggs. Hidden there is, what I can only refer to as the "other" section. There are all kinds of freaky meat substitutes, "chicken" nuggets, spicy Italian "sausage," and meatless "burgers." To me, a substance that has no shape, consistency, smell, or taste that comes from nature, is probably not meant to be eaten. Even rotten vegetables are going through a natural decomposition process. But, I want to be open-minded, and soy is a plant, therefore I will not discriminate. So I brought my square, white, squishy friend home for a trial visit.

As it turns out, tofu is a very agreeable substance. I made Tofu Curry (with chicken on the side for Greg) and after two tries I got a pretty great result. Unfortunately, my friend Amanda was the recipient of try #1, with which I used "firm" tofu and  bit too much curry sauce. Try #2 turned out a bit better because I used "extra firm," which has a more meat-like consistency.

I also experimented with a dessert, which turned out to be a fantastic idea. I started out with putting the tofu in the food processor, and mashing the crap out of it. Then I added some baking chocolate, cocoa, sugar, and water. I mixed and mashed this until it was creamy and whipped. Then I chilled it overnight. The consistency was perfect! It was so chocolatey. No one would ever know that I used tofu! Here are some pictures!













4 comments:

  1. If you like scrambled eggs, there are tons of good recipes out there for tofu scrambles- I improvise a mexican scramble with onions, salsa, etc and then make breakfast burritos. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't cooked tofu yet, but there is a tofu dish at Viet -Thai Paradise that I love. It has a very custardly texture and is not firm in the least. I gather from your blog that tofu comes in different textures. Have you tried Seitan yet? A couple of my vegan friends in Baltimore prefer that texture as a meat substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian yet, but dairy is not my best friend sometimes, so that's why I tried the tofu. Apparently there ARE different textures of tofu. Extra firm is the most meat-like and they get more smooth and "custardy" as you decrease the firmness. I have not tried Seitan, but I will definitely try it out!

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!