Monday, August 15, 2011

Blogiversary Part 2

Hello again! I thought I'd share a few household changes, if you want to see! In June I had a Kermit-inspired room that only inspired me to get a quick-onset headache.  The carpet was grody no matter how many times a week I vacuumed. The "lame jungle" theme was just not our style. We both like neutrals, and this is definitely not neutral.




I think, in the future, adding curtains, and a rug, will make the room even more inviting. But it's definitely a step in the right direction.



The candle holder was a gift to me from my Dad and Stepmom. They got it at a fair trade shop in Baltimore called 10,000 Villages. I picked up the rock in a stream on our trip to Vermont this summer. The flowerpot is good-ole Ikea. The plant is...as is expected with me...dying.


Door before

Door After


This is an old Christmas picture of the main wall in our front room. It's the only one I could find of this wall at the moment. Behind us to the left is the rest of the house. This is the first wall you see when you come into our house and it just wasn't setting a warm and serene mood when we entered. The wire that our stockings are hung on usually have postcards and pictures stuck into those little rings. It was too small and spindly and made a weak first impression.
Main entryway wall before



Here is the entryway now. The artwork is much more substantial and sets a much better mood. Plus, I'm a tree hugger at heart and I can't wait to sit in my huge chair and read a book surrounded by trees. (Out the window and on the wall).
Wall after




The next point of interest on our house tour is our guest bathroom, or in other words, the only bathroom other than the one in our bedroom, so everyone uses it. I owe this remodel to my grandmother. She came over the other day to see some of my progress. She ooed and ahhhed at every room. Then, I opened the bathroom door to show her and her face fell. She looked repulsed and she said something that sounded like eghk! Never one to mince words, she said it was horrible looking and that I had to get rid of that paint color and hideous shower curtain (which I thought was room's main redeeming quality). There's nothing like a no-nonsense grandmother to knock your head on straight! The next day, Greg came home to a surprise. I had ripped the mirror off the wall, thrown away the shower curtain and primed the whole room. This time he didn't freak out quite so much. I think he's catching on to this, "she never has a plan, so just let her figure it out as she goes" thing.
Before

Before

FYI: This transformation cost only $49. I only bought the shower curtain ($24), rug ($20) and white towel ($5). The rest was stuff that I already had, including the paint.
After


After thinking about it, this might not be the best advertisement for our bathroom. (But I do love how the bold colors break up the neutral on neutral effect).








 Lastly, here's an update to the main living room. All we did was add the chair! (It's from target...on sale with free shipping!)
Before
After


 
I'm still finalizing some finishing details like wall art, shelving, and rugs. Since we got the floors on the spur of the moment, we hadn't picked any area rugs out yet and we're still scouring overstock.com for the perfect little budget-friendly ones to grab our attention.

Again, thanks for reading my thoughts about stuff other than food, otherwise known as my ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!