Monday, August 8, 2011

Under Construction

We just can't continue to be friends until I tell you my little secret. Well, it's not much of a secret if you've been over to my house in the last month or so. I've taken a liking to another hobby. I told you in my first post ever that I am not much of a decorator, but I've taken on the challenge of redecorating our house, getting ready for the next phase of our lives.We're not college kids anymore, so the papasan chair, Guiness art, and stained carpet had to go.

My new obsessive compulsion hobby started on my first day of summer vacation. I had this annoying feeling that kept popping up, like a fly that's caught in the house and keeps buzzing by your ear. I was just rattling around inside the empty (except for the pups) house. Something didn't feel comfortable. The rooms didn't flow and the colors were depressingly dark. I realized that we were still living like we were in college, without much thought to the decor, just whatever fit our budget and fit in the room.  We had picked paint colors based on what we liked without much thought to what our style was. Our "front room" (it's so small it can't really be called a living room, but it's too big to be a foyer) was dark avocado green!  So without another thought, I pulled out the drop cloths and rollers from the attic, dug the primer out of a closet, and started rolling with no idea in mind of what color I wanted it to be. I just knew it had to be lighter, more airy, and fresh. Two months later, it still isn't totally finished, but it's a heck of a lot better.

So with my blogiversary fast approaching, I decided to add another component to FFT. Instead of just showing you my thoughts about food, like dessert disasters and shrimp obsessions, I'll show you all of the ways I can mess up (and hopefully put back together) this little house of ours. These "other thoughts" as I have been calling them (in my head) will probably include updates about craft projects, room renovations, or other major changes. Obviously, it takes a lot of time and money to complete a major project, so I won't be turning this into a decorating blog, but I'll show you when there is substantial progress. Meanwhile, I will still be trying new recipes and maybe even concocting a few of my own (insert prayers for Greg here) so stay tuned! 

Here's a sneak peak of a few updates that we've made since we've moved in:



 Time of Purchase

A Year Later
 It's Painful, Right?

After Some Male Bonding, a Rented Jackhammer, and a Visit from Long Fence...
 New Fence and Patio

P.S. I know I've written "woe is me" posts about not having a grill. I was not fibbing. We were holding the grill for Greg's brother who was moving when this pic was taken. See? Not a fibber.

 See the Brick Path?

 It's Now a Stone Path

Lastly, I never took a before picture of our master bathroom because I was always too embarassed. But, I found a grainy picture online that looks almost identical, blue bath-fitter and all.


Before
After

These are just a few of the changes that have been made around here in the last three years. I can't wait to show you the progress in the rest of the house, which will be coming up in the next week or so. Thanks so much for reading my other thoughts!

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my little scheme. It's the only way I know you're out there reading and laughing with me...!

2 comments:

  1. I think that would be an awesome idea. I always love seeing what other people are doing with their homes. Do you remember Corinne Chain? She has a blog basically all about the updates she is doing to her house. http://chloecorinne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's awesome! I'll definitely check it out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!