Saturday, July 30, 2011

Eat Your Vegetables

When making my grocery list Saturday morning (more on that later this week...riveting, I know) I wanted to  use different vegetables rather than the same old green beans or broccoli. So I decided to prepare some kind of  squash and zucchini side dish. Note: I usually don't like squash or zucchini so I masked the flavor cooked only with ingredients that I love (garlic, onions, mushrooms, and cooking wine) and hoped it turned out alright. There really wasn't a back up plan, so this is another one of those times when Greg's tolerance was appreciated.



Here it goes! I started with one small squash and one small zucchini.


 I chopped them into similar sized chunks.


I threw about a quarter of a large yellow onion, a teaspoon of minced garlic, and sliced mushrooms into a pan with a bit of butter. I sauteed it all together for about 5 minutes until the onions were translucent and the mushrooms were sweating.


 Then I turned the burner to high, and put the salted and peppered s. and z. in the center of the pan for 5 more minutes to let them brown.






Cooking wine makes everything better, right? Sure! Throw some of that in there too! I used about 1/4 cup in the bottom of a small baking pan and then put the vegetable mixture in the pan and drizzled some more of the wine on top.



 
I baked it at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes.


 After baking, I sprinkled some shredded Parmesan on top. 



Thankfully, it turned out really good! How did that happen? I actually ate my entire helping without even pinching my nose to choke it down. Now I'm itching to try some more new things before going back to school in two weeks! Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!