Sunday, July 17, 2011

De-LIGHT-ful

When I was in college, I used to work retail. On my lunch break I would walk to Whole Foods to get a fresh Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad from the salad bar. Honestly, finding that salad was probably the one cool thing that came out of that job. (It was a less-than-awesome job).

Now that I'm a teacher (a way awesomer job) and have the summers off, (totally awesome) I'm not buying lunch that often, but I still crave that salad. I love having a cold dinner in the summertime too. It's so refreshing and feels healthier for some reason. I made my own version of it at home a few days ago. You can really add any ingredients that you like, but I kept it simple.



I just cooked up some bowtie pasta, chopped some fresh romaine, and added some leftover cooked chicken  that was in the fridge. I added some pepper, shredded Parmesan cheese, and creamy Caesar (or creamy Italian) salad dressing. Then I tossed it all together and chilled it for about an hour. It was so good on a hot day last week. You could also add red and yellow tomatoes (which also makes it more visually interesting) but I didn't add them because Greg doesn't like fresh tomatoes. I think it also might taste really cool and satisfying with some crisp cucumber. Like I said, you can add anything you like to create different flavor combination, bell peppers, banana peppers, even some big crunchy croutons. So dig in your fridge tonight and throw together a nice cold pasta salad using what you've got, it's budget friendly and definitely refreshing!

3 comments:

  1. That is my absolute favorite at Whole Foods, I ate it last night for dinner while at work. They also add red bell peppers and croutons. It's perfect summer dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm craving this sooo much right now...

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!