Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Breaking Tradition


Greg and I have a tradition of going to the Severn Inn each Independence Day. We've done it since 2007. We usually finish dinner and have just ordered dessert when the fireworks show begins. They have a back patio where we go out and watch the fireworks display over Annapolis. By the time we return, our dessert is waiting!







This year, however, I wanted to break with tradition.  I didn't feel like all the fuss of reservations, parking, dressing up, and paying an arm and a leg (even though the food/wine/atmosphere is awesome and it's a great evening out). Instead, Greg and I spent the day together, then we made our own little 4th of July "barbecue," even though, as you may remember, we don't own a grill. We did our best, and I kept remarking about how much fun it was to do something easy and simple. I wore shorts and a t-shirt, cooked hamburgers and hot dogs on a Foreman Grill, and didn't worry about a thing. It was awesome.








To watch fireworks, we went with Greg's brother and his girlfriend to a hill near the Naval Academy bridge. We had a fun time, sitting and talking, and eating some leftover watermelon. When we got home, the pups were terrified of the firecrackers that people were setting off around our neighborhood and were both getting as close to Greg as they possibly could, ending their long-held jealous fighting over the rights to the couch.

I hope you had a great holiday! Thanks for reading my thoughts about food and holiday traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!