Friday, July 1, 2011

That Little Something




 I made these for my mom's birthday in May. I used a simple chocolate buttercream recipe for the frosting. That little something I added was almond extract. I also chopped almonds in the food processor and added them to the frosting to add some texture. A few sliced almonds on top added the perfect touch.

The cupcakes were just from a box of yellow cake mix.

The frosting consisted of:

3/4 cup butter softened
8 cups of powdered sugar (I use a few cups less so it's not too sickly sweet)
1/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup of cocoa
1 teaspoon of almond extract

Directions:

Beat butter on medium until smooth
Beat 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Gradually add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating well.
Beat in remaining sugar (taste to get the desired sweetness)
Beat in additional milk to reach spreading consistency.

Use a disposable piping bag and snip about an inch off the end to get the dollop shape.


Altered recipe from Better Home's and Gardens New Cook Book 14th edition

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!