Sunday, August 22, 2010

Dessert for Dinner

When you're a very non-professional cook, like myself, you're always trying to induce that "yum!" when cooking for other people. It's just reassurance that what you're cooking actually tastes good and that you're not wasting your time spending 4 hours in the kitchen. Maybe professional cooks (chefs, I suppose) feel the same way. I don't know. I've never met one.  This dessert's only purpose was to get Greg to say something obscenely gratifying to me. While baking, I dreamed he might even say it's the best dessert I'd ever made...



Did I mention, he asked me specifically to make a blueberry cobbler? It's his favorite. His mom makes great cobblers.  Now you understand the pressure.






To make the filling I used 5 cups of blueberries in a dutch oven (or large pot) with about 1/4 cup of water and I used 1/3 cup of sugar. You can use up to 2/3 cups. Stir these bad boys on medium heat and then watch them transform into the most beautiful purplish color that my camera could never capture just right.



The topping is made from  flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and butter which I "cut" into the mixture with this pastry blender. Then, I mixed in a milk and egg combination, just wetting the dry mixture.


Then I poured the berries into my casserole dish and plopped on the topping.


The finished product.


 The crust was sweet and crunchy on the outside, but soft and fluffy on the inside. The little bit of cinnamon I added gave it the perfect little addition of flavor.


And the filling tasted like blueberry filling is supposed to taste. No high fructose this or that, no artificial colors or flavors. Just blueberries, a little water and a little sugar. Pure goodness.




So at the end of the day, I don't remember what Greg said about my cobbler. I know he liked it. A lot. I didn't make dinner this night. I just ate cobbler with a big hunk of vanilla ice cream. I guess that's how you know you've made something good, you don't even care what anyone else thinks because your too busy enjoying your third helping.

2 comments:

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!