Monday, October 4, 2010

All in the Family

After the intense summer heat of the last few weeks, I was thrilled to finally feel some cold weather rolling in. The month of October is definitely made for pumpkin. I think about all of the memories from being a little kids and picking our own pumpkins at the farm near my grandmother's house. Therefore, I was determined to make a pumpkin pie this weekend, half to eat, and half because I just wanted to fill the house with the aroma of pumpkin and graham cracker crusts baking. However, instead of  normal pie, I opted for a pumpkin chiffon, which uses gelatin and sets in the fridge instead of being baked in the oven. Hence, no pumpkin smells wafting through the house. But it tastes so delicious, that my pumpkin spice candle will just have to do the trick for now.


As you can see, I enjoyed some of the fruits of my labor before waiting to photograph.


If you've read some of my other posts, you probably know that my favorite season is fall. I think it runs in my family. We were always out jumping in piles of leaves and taking walks through the neighborhood on cool evenings. I still love it! I also love camping in the fall. Greg and I are going camping in a few weeks with some friends, and I can't wait to make food by the fire!


Foil Packs Cooking Away!
This meal came from foil packs that we made last year on a camping trip. I had never heard of foil packs before this, but they're a great idea, really easy and yummy! We just chopped up some veggies and ground beef, added some oil, salt, and pepper at home and wrapped it in tin foil and stuck them in the cooler. Then we cooked them in the fire for about 15-20 minutes.


Coffee

Michael's Pasta

Kabobs


Cobbler


Eggs and Sausage





Weirdly, I love campfires, but I don't really like s'mores. I roast marshmallows because it's fun, but I usully don't eat them. Greg likes to bring peanut butter for his s'mores.

Shenandoah, Virginia 2009


Cunningham Falls, Maryland 2010


Hunting Creek Lake, MD

The name says it all...



I'm looking forward to hiking and sleeping outside before it gets too cold! I guess it just runs in the blood. My sister, Sarah, just came back from a camping weekend with friends, what a cool idea for a birthday party...I wonder where she thought of that! ; )

Anyways, I'm making corn chowder tonight...hopefully it goes well. Last time I made it was traumatizing because I misread the recipe and added 1 tablespoon of pepper instead of 1 teaspoon. It was horrible. I'll let you know how it turns out this time. Thanks for reading my thoughts about food!





















2 comments:

  1. First- thank you for finally posting. I thoroughly enjoyed your thoughts about food, fall, and camping. you're as cute as always.
    Two- that was MY idea! I had been thinking about it since september of LAST year!! my own, original idea. just had to set that straight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder who went camping for her birthday in July? Two whole months BEFORE September!

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!