Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Food Education Started with a Sandwich

 


     As you might have guessed from some of my food escapades such as the Madeline saga, I have not always loved to cook. In fact I did absolutely zero cooking until Greg and I moved in together in 2007. I was, and still am, really inexperienced. In fact, I didn't even know how to make a sandwich when Greg met me. My idea of a sandwich was a piece of ham and a slice of American cheese between two pieces of Wonder Bread. Needless to say, I thought I hated sandwiches. When we went over to his parent's house, his entire family ate sandwiches all the time. They made them for lunch, for snacks, to take in the car on a road trips, or sometimes just because they were in the mood for a sandwich. They were always making sandwiches!! I always declined eating them until Greg just made me one one day. He used Roast beef, red onions, honey mustard, lettuce and tomato. I had my choice of  several different cheeses: swiss, provolone, muenster, how could I decide? This was not a Wonder Bread family. That sandwich was delicious. I was hooked. From there he also encouraged me to try new things. I tried a Ruben for the first time, a french dip sandwich, a Cuban, and a Monte Cristo; I tried anything and everything, and they were all delicious. Since those days, I can't believe I have made things like risotto, French cakes and pastries, and lobster. So I guess I could say that my entire cooking education really did start with that one sandwich.


            Grilled with turkey, muenster, Jack Daniel's honey mustard, a dab of horseradish, and spinach.





We had sandwiches and margaritas on the patio the other night. It was a bit chilly so we made  fire. It was perfection.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. This does look like perfection. Toasted bread and any type of cheese would be so good right now. I miss June nights too :(

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!